Most Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pumpkin Mac 'n' Cheese

This month, we're asking food bloggers to share their go-to fall pastas, and today's recipe looks incredible: PUMPKIN mac n' cheese from Erin of Naturally Ella. Here goes...
Pumpkin Mac 'n' Cheese
By Erin Alderson of Naturally Ella


I'm a complete fall junkie, and it shows in the amount of pumpkin and sweet potato dishes I make during the cooler months. However, my husband isn't as keen on squash as I am, and will often pick around it. This macaroni and cheese is such a comfort dish and I love the creaminess of the pureed pumpkin—plus my husband can't even tell that pumpkin is hiding in it! I also love using other squash (like butternut) or sweet potatoes. Blue cheese, caramelized onions and spinach are great additions, too.

Recipe: Pumpkin Mac 'n' Cheese
Makes 3-4 servings

You'll need:
1 small pie pumpkin
3 cups (8 oz.) pasta
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp. fresh minced thyme
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 cup 2% milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 pieces wheat bread
1/4 cup hazelnuts (optional)
1 tbsp. olive oil

What to do:
Preheat oven to 400F. Slice pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds and place both halves cut-side down in a baking dish. Pour enough water in the pan to form a 1/4" layer. Place pumpkin in the oven and roast until tender, 45-55 minutes. Let cool slightly and scoop out flesh. Measure 1 cup and set aside.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook until just tender, 6-7 minutes. Strain and set aside.

In a saucepan, heat butter until melted. Mince garlic and add to the pot. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in flour, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook and whisk for another minute. In a blender, combine pumpkin puree and milk, blending until smooth. Pour mixture into the saucepan and whisk until well combined. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add in shredded cheese, stirring until cheese melts.

Combine pasta and cheese mixture into an 9x9 baking dish or a pan similar in size. In a food processor, pulse together slices of bread and hazelnuts. With the food processor running, pour in olive oil. Sprinkle mixture over the macaroni and cheese.

Bake in the 400F oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is browning and cheese is bubbling. Serve warm.

Notes: The pumpkin can be roasted up to a day ahead of time. If making gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta and 3 tablespoons cornstarch in place of the flour.
Delicious. Thank you, Erin!

P.S. More best recipes, including a grown-up grilled cheese and cheesy spaghetti sauce.

(Photos and recipe by Erin Alderson of Naturally Ella. Thanks to Shoko for helping with this series.)

31 comments:

Elizabeth Benfield said...

this looks so yummy. maybe the perfect recipe for a covered dish thanksgiving celebration.

Jesse said...

I am very much intrigued by this, I bet it would be lovely with trader joes cinnamon toscano cheese in lieu of cheddar.

http://semiweeklyeats.blogspot.com/2013/11/weekend-outfit-2.html

Danielle E. Alvarez said...

Oh my gosh, this sounds amazing! I am forwarding this to my best friend.

Unfortunately for me and my time constraints, canned pumpkin is hard to come by in Paris.

Michelle Ash Latham said...

Yum! This sounds so good!
Can't go wrong with mac & cheese! :)

www.ahealthymrs.com

CRISTINA/TINI said...

Oh my, this looks incredible! LOVING the pasta posts...my favorite food!

Shruti Kapoor said...

That looks scrumptious. Would love to try it out :)

Metamorphocity said...

This sounds incredible! I pureed some butternut squash and added it to my mac and cheese last week. It was absurdly delicious!

Giulia said...

The link to Ella's site is incomplete...doesn't go to there. :)

Joanna Goddard said...

oh thanks!! just fixed the link.

jamie levine said...

Loving the flavor/texture combo of this dish!

Chimmy said...

OMG yum! Trying this one immediately!

laurenfoode.com said...

You have to stop with the food posts before lunch... you're killing me! And this apple just ain't cuttin' it.

Celeste said...

This looks great, though I'm not patient enough after work to start with a whole pumpkin. I'm totally using Libby's. Trying to track down a good equivalent, though.

Anyone know how much puree a pumpkin this size will make?

Gina said...

Thanks!! Trying this for dinner tonight!

erin lou said...

Hey Celeste! I snuck in pulling out a cup of the puree- so all you'll need to do is use a cup of the pre-made puree!

Erin | Naturally Ella said...

Hey Celeste! I snuck in measuring out 1 cup of the puree, so you'll be able to sub 1 for 1 of the pre-made puree!

Kristen Genevieve said...

Yummm! I'm the pregnant one but my husband is the one with the cravings! haha He would LOVE this!! :)
xo kristen genevieve

sunnywithachanceoflemons.blogspot.com

sunny bloglovin

June Lemon said...

You should compile all these recipes in a book, Joanna! I'd love to have it. :)

All my love from Spain,

June

Heather said...

oh my gahd. yes please. right now!

Mayoli Weidelich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
districtandmore said...

This would be perfect for a cold winter night.

Right now my favorite meal for chilly weather is spiced butternut squash and apple soup. So delicious!

http://districtandmore.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/butternut-squash-and-apple-soup/

his little lady said...

Yum, yum, yum!!!
xo TJ

http://www.hislittlelady.com

Laura McIntosh said...

I'm sorry but this sounds disgusting. Any good recipes for
Indian food would be much appreciated!

Mona peacecabona said...

anyone know if this would taste good with meat in it as well? For. ex. ground beef/hamburger? Or is that too weird of a combination: pumpkin and ground beef??

Liesl said...

This sounds and looks delish! :)

Laura D said...

Hmm not that big on pumpkin, but this is definitely unique!

Check out my blog, if you'd like: http://greenmountainglobetrotter.blogspot.com/

kelly o said...

As my mother the queen of etiquette would always say, "don't yuck my yum!" :)

BernaD*va said...

YUM!

I've been on a pumpkin kick lately too...in case anyone needs a pumpkin lasagna recipe --> http://www.darling-ville.com/2013/10/fairytale-pumpkins-and-fall-lasagna.html

Lindsey said...

Yum!

Just Lorna said...

Pumpkins are everywhere at the moment, but I'd never even thought about pumpkin mac'n'cheese.... it's such a fantastic idea!

... Would it be a totally inappropriate thing to make at gone midnight?! I have more or less all of the ingredients!

韩沂水 said...

樂威壯 樂威壯哪裡買 樂威壯 壯陽藥 樂威壯怎麼使用才正確 樂威壯 壯陽藥 壯陽藥品 樂威壯levitra levitra樂威壯 樂威壯哪裡買 樂威壯哪裡買 威而鋼 壯陽藥 樂威壯
樂威壯
春藥 早洩治療 壯陽藥 樂威壯

Site design by Apartment One
Federated Media Publishing - Style