Most Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Roasted Mushrooms

This month, we've been asking food bloggers what they make for dinner when they're home alone. Today, Carey of Reclaiming Provincial shares these delicious garlicky buttery roasted mushrooms. Can't you imagine drinking wine and mopping them up from the pan with a piece of bread? Here goes...


Roasted Mushrooms
By Carey Nershi of Reclaiming Provincial


I thoroughly enjoy cooking for others. I live for potlucks, dinner parties with close friends, and holidays hosted in my tiny apartment. That being said, I revel in dining alone. There’s no need for showy dishes or anyone else’s food preferences or dietary restrictions to consider. Just the question, what do I want to eat? Truthfully, sometimes the answer to that question is a giant bowl of popcorn with a side of cookies. But on my finer days, it’s something nourishing, delicious and simple. Big emphasis on that last part, because—as those who suffer from perpetual bouts of "hangriness" know—the less time between the thought “food?” and the actual appearance of food, the better.

My favorite bachelorette dinners almost always involve a skillet or tray of roasted vegetables and a generous helping of bread and butter. These roasted mushrooms (discovered via Deb) make an appearance time and time again. They’re ridiculously good and simple to prepare, with minimal prep work followed by only fifteen-ish minutes of oven time. The original recipe is intended to serve four as an appetizer, but halving it makes for a perfectly satisfying and respectable solo dinner.

Recipe: Roasted Mushrooms
Original recipe from Gourmet

You'll need:
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) mushrooms (cremini, preferably, but white will work as well)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. capers, rinsed and chopped
1 1/2 large garlic cloves, minced
pinch of coarse black pepper
healthy pinch of coarse sea salt
1 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

What to do:
Preheat your oven to 450°. Toss mushrooms with the oil, capers, garlic, pepper, and salt in a baking dish or cast iron skillet. Dot with butter cubes and roast for 15–20 minutes, stirring once or twice as they bake.

Once mushrooms are tender, remove them from the oven and stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Eat them straight from the skillet with plenty of crusty bread to soak up all the garlicky butter.
Thank you so much, Carey!

P.S. More best recipes, including roast chicken and Brussels sprouts.

(Photos by Carey Nershi of Reclaiming Provincial. Original recipe by Kay Chun for Gourmet, via Smitten Kitchen. Thanks to Shoko for helping with this series.)

40 comments:

jm said...

I am going to make this as a side at Thanksgiving. Looks delicious!

Rebecca Frascone said...

I am four weeks away from my due date and I've committed to make a new recipe every night for my husband and toddler until that baby delivery is made. I will be trying this one tonight! thanks so much for this series. love your blog. xo

Lauren Knight said...

yes! this looks soooo good! I am always making these mushroom recipes and they turn out mushy, but you'd better believe I'm going to try this one out!

macaca grava-por-cima said...

sounds just peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerfect!

molly yeh said...

i love carey! and i love these photos! these may just make me ditch my mushroomphobia.

Metamorphocity said...

These sound incredible! Straight to the recipe book with you, roasted mushrooms!

Michelle Ash Latham said...

Yummmmm -- my mouth is watering! :)

www.ahealthymrs.com

Meghan Chwazik said...

This sounds amazingly delicious!
I'm definitely going to invest my time into making this dish the next time a "hangry" moment comes over me.

Loris Glassworks said...

This will be perfect for my vegetarian hubby...your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers!
Lori in Atlanta

lyndafitz said...

i just tooled around Carey's site. Oh my. Thanks for always posting such great things and for directing us to amazing sites such as this. You are the best.

Jesse said...

looks delicious and fancy enough (yet easy enough!) for a crowd. i ate a large wedge of manchego with fig jam and a glass of wine last night. it was perfect!

http://semiweeklyeats.blogspot.com/2013/10/nutella-stuffed-pumpkin-french-toast.html

Marissa said...

I'm planning a nice alone night on Friday when by BF is out of town and I now think it will involve these mushrooms, bread, cheese, wine and lots of Orange is the New Black :)

Annie Green said...

It's the book and the bread and the complete lack of plate that really sells it to me. Delicious and nobody else to please. Heaven. As I type I am roasting squash and tomatoes with hot spices for a soup I will enjoy in about an hour or so. The house is empty and I have peace and quiet...

emily said...

Oh man this looks super yummy and right up my alley. I adore mushrooms and this looks like the perfect excuse to make an entire meal out of them.

-Emily

Grace Beekman said...

Holy smokes! YUM! I think the only time I love mushrooms is when they are smothered in olive oil and garlic. Thanks for sharing!!

http://sometimesgracefully.com

Stacia, the Homey Owl said...

This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing! These meals you have been gathering up have been positively inspiring.

Vale Cervarich said...

Joanna, Thank you for being so reliable, and posting awesome or mostly awesome content every day. These mushrooms look beyond delish! Thank you for your professional, creative and hearteningly steadfast blogging. xxoo ♥

Ramsey said...

You know, we (your loyal followers) know a lot about you, and you don't know much about us, BUT, you DO know what we're all making for dinner tonight, ha ha! Thanks for this recipe, I'm off to the market now...

(BAD) Blog About Design said...

JM, that's a great idea. I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Can't wait for Thanksgiving :)

Check out the BAD Blog...

http://design-bad.blogspot.com

Akshara Vivekananthan said...

Sounds like the most perfect solo dinner! Heartwarming, and I can already imagine how great a loaf of French bread would go with this. Thanks for the recipe!

Emily Knott said...

Oh wow! This sounds scrummy!

www.britishbeautyaddict.com

pearlandtheoyster.com said...

Holy mother, this looks outrageous! I will absolutely be making this for myself this week, with a glass of wine and a side of 30 Rock. Deeeelicious.

Jackie {York Avenue} said...

This looks delicious and much more healthy than my typical dinners for one!

Manda said...

Such a bad post to read while I'm alone, and hungry! (I have another 3 hours until Hubs is home for dinner!)
....But still a good post. Will probably use this recipe :)

Manda from Eat Cake

infusionfibers said...

Ooh, I am making this tonight... with chanterelles!

Ladies in Navy said...

oh yum!
kw ladies in navy

boardingtogether said...

This recipe looks amazing. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for posting.

Laura D said...

These look so good, perfect for a home-alone meal

http://greenmountainglobetrotter.blogspot.com/

peppysis said...

I made these along side a couple of steaks and crusty bread for supper last night! Yummm! Thanks!

Rosilen Sturdivant said...

Love this recipe, I making it this weekend for girls night in!

www.maggiedeloresshane.blogspot.com

like fried chicken said...

What is with solo dinners involving popcorn??? I noticed it in the comments of the previous solo dinner post as well. I don't hate popcorn, but I haven't had a craving for it since elementary school when I thought it was the most magical thing ever.

The mushrooms look divine.

Unknown said...

Made these last night, and wow... crusty bread, lots of lemon, and a glass (or three) of Malbec. So very, very delicious!!

cheyenne said...

oh yummm, this looks so good! i have to make these next week.
xo, cheyenne

Amber-Rose said...

These look just gorgeous! I adore mushrooms but my partner isn't so keen.
I'll have to make them as a side for myself.

Willow Arlen said...

Roasted mushrooms are one of my absolute favorite things, and this recipe sounds divine! Carey, your photos and writing are gorgeous, as always. Congrats on the guest post! :)

ahmed said...


Grazie molto possibile, si prega di visitare il mio umile blog

شبكة انت والعالم
شبكة انت والعالم
شبكة انت والعالم
شبكة انت والعالم

Alexandra Smookler said...

I just made this on served it on top of polenta for dinner. It was delicious - even my Italian husband approved! Thanks for sharing.

Erica Zurawski said...

This recipe just about made me faint. It is almost surreal how easy yet delicious it is! I just had to write about it on my blog too... http://www.thatdistantafternoon.com/2013/11/roast-mushroom-simplicity.html

Thank you for the recipe!

Erica Zurawski said...

This recipe just about made me faint when I tried it! It's so surreal that it's so easy but soooo delicious. I had to write about it on my own blog.

http://www.thatdistantafternoon.com/2013/11/roast-mushroom-simplicity.html

Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Katie said...

I just made this toasty meal on the first cold night we've had, and it's perfect! Such a yummy excuse to eat lots of bread.

Site design by Apartment One
Federated Media Publishing - Style