Most Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

The Best Salsa You'll Ever Have (With Only Three Ingredients!)

New York is in the middle of an amazing tomato season right now (the best one in years, says the New York Times), so we'd love to feature a second tomato recipe today. If you have a free bag of chips, and a few hungry friends, here's a killer salsa recipe from Lisa Fain of Homesick Texan...
The Best Salsa You'll Ever Have
By Lisa Fain of Homesick Texan


In Texas, salsa is as prominent on the table as salt and pepper. We pour it on our eggs, drizzle it into our tacos, and use it as a dip for tortilla chips, too. Like most Texans, I have several salsa recipes that I like to make, but I always return to this one for its simplicity. With only three key ingredients—tomatoes, jalapeños and garlic—this salsa has a surprising depth and richness that comes from blackening everything under the broiler before blending.

It's ideal to make this salsa during the summer when tomatoes and jalapeños are at their best. But because the tomatoes are broiled to coax out the maximum amount of flavor, you can get away with making it in the cooler months, too.

If you want to make this salsa livelier, feel free to jazz it up with cilantro, onions, lime juice, chipotle chiles, or even peaches. But it doesn't really need these additions, and I think you’ll be pleased at just how elegant and flavorful a salsa made with only three ingredients can be.

Recipe: Summertime Salsa
Makes about a cup and a half

You'll need:
1 pound plum tomatoes, stemmed and cut in half
1 or 2 jalapeños (depending on how hot you want the salsa), stemmed and cut in half
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Salt and black pepper, to taste

Turn on the broiler and place a rack five inches away from heating element. Line a skillet or baking sheet with foil and place the tomatoes, jalapeño halves and garlic on the skillet. Cook under the broiler for five minutes, or until the jalapeños and garlic have brown spots. Remove the jalapeños and garlic from the skillet and place in a blender.

Meanwhile, return the skillet to the oven and continue to broil the tomatoes for five more minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and add them to the blender, also pouring into the blender any juices that may be in the skillet. Add 1/4 cup of water to the blender and pulse on low until the salsa is blended to your desired texture. (If you prefer a thinner salsa, add more water.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
YUM! Thank you so much, Lisa!

P.S. More best recipes, including chocolate bourbon banana bread and margaritas...

(Photos by Lisa from Homesick Texan. Thanks to Shoko for helping with this series)

33 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Brilliant! I love a good salsa:) Btw: I adore plum tomatoes. xoxo

D2 said...

Fab! Going to try this weekend!

The Bebebirds said...

woo hoo! As a Texan, this sounds just perfect. Makes me homesick for sure!

Brooke

Closet Cravings said...

Salsa is one of my favorite snacks - it's so addictive. Love this simple recipe - yummy. =)
Satisfy Your Cravings For Celebrity Style and All Things Stylish and Sweet

Kelsey Nicole said...

This looks delicious! I love simple, healthy recipes with very few ingredients :)

Erin said...

That looks so simple and delicious, not even I could mess that up.

Kelly Golightly said...

Yum! I'm from Texas too and this sounds great.

I usually just use canned whole peeled tomatoes, cilantro and onion and pulse in the blender and it's surprisingly good too. Who knew salsa was so easy?!

Tessa Shoemaker said...

Ive heard this before from one of my patients! Ive been dying to try it. Nice to have another opinion!

Baylee said...

Yuuuuum! I LOVE REALLY garlicy salsa so I think I'm going ot try it and add more garlic! Delish!

a lovely being said...

my boyfriend LOVES salsa - I'll have to try this. and yes, the tomatoes have been lovely this year : )

x fallon

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles said...

I love, love, love the simplicity of this salsa. Delicious!

Freya Lily said...

That looks amazing!

Magdalena said...

I am definitely trying this! thanks for sharing :)

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

I do a lot of home preservation of my garden fruits/veggies, and I just made/canned 8 pints of salsa. When I run out, I'll definitely be giving this recipe a try!

christie elkins. said...

Brilliant! I literally just finished a bowl of salsa with chips right before I read this post ;) Dying to try this recipe!

Christina Marie said...

Oooh, yes this looks like I would looove it. Much rather have this than chunky pico de gallo style. YUM!

Come check out the fun little GIVEAWAY I'm having that will be a great addition to the kitchen. :)
http://www.becauseofmadalene.com/2012/08/wednesday-giveaway.html

Christina

Meant for a Moment Designs said...

Yum! I love simple recipes, its all I have the time for these days! Sounds wonderful!

Jimmy said...

Here's a little add-on, the best salsa tweak you'll ever have: if you're using raw onions in a salsa, after cutting them to size put them in a strainer and run them under very cold water for a minute or two, rinsing thoroughly. When done, use a paper towel to pat them dry. This little tip takes all the sharp raw onion bite out of them, and leaves you with just the onion flavor.

Shannon said...

YUM! I always crave salsa in the Summer.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I am always looking for new salsa/ dip/ tapenade recipes!

Anonymous said...

I am always looking for new salsa/ dip/ tapenade recipes!

The Meaning of Me said...

I was good until the tomatoes got steamed. Can't do it. :( How Sweet It Is had an unbelievable strawberry salsa a few days ago...it was unreal. She has it listed with a chicken and pineapple quesadilla that was also amazing. Check it out.
http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/08/caramelized-pineapple-quesadillas-with-spicy-strawberry-salsa/

Shruti Kapoor said...

Sounds and looks delicious!!! Will def. try it - Thanks!

Shruti-k.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This looks really easy, and I love tht it all just goes in a blender. Will try tonight.

jar8j said...

Made this last night-- Delicious! very easy as promised, but I used some heirloom tomatoes I had on hand and they ended up having enough liquid on their own and didn't need any additional water. I love spicy salsa and one jalapeno was plenty!

Raquel said...

This sounds AWESOME! I'm always turned off by recipes because of the number of ingredients, so it's nice to see something that doesn't require much! Will definitely try soon!

h.jo said...

made this today- it was delish and a nice change from all the chopping i'm used to for my summer pico.

Anonymous said...

Just where in NYC are you getting these great tomatoes? No matter where we've bought in city recently, they are anything but tasty.

Fai said...

Can't wait to make this tonight!

Abi. said...

This looks like a wicked salsa!

Abi x

beastmomma said...

Made with extra garlic and tomatoes. Really easy and yummy!

J.Mill said...

I made this to the letter and it was kinda a flop :(

Stacey Beck said...

This looks amazing. I love salsa and am really picky about it but I think I would love this. I bet it would be good topped with some sour cream and salted Mexican chips.

http://www.melinamexsalsa.com/index.php/products/?blog=2

Site design by Apartment One
Federated Media Publishing - Style